Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mind mapping

Here is a beautiful chart which sums up chapter 2 of the class text (Grant Writing and Fundraising Tool Kit for Human Services by Dustin).
Enveloping all of the very technical chapter 2 in a clearly defined map, is this image (appendix A).

And while we're at it, we might as well peruse over to appendices B and C; drafting two gift chart goals (one specific for the org and another generic for donors to have a visual) is helpful--I daresay key to a successful fundraising campaign.
What struck me was the one for donors; but it makes so much sense. Really, it helps get them involved. You're including them in the plan. You're showing them you really want them to understand what your goals are, making them not just donors, but team members!
I am just loving how organized the textbook is! However, I just wonder how many nonprofs start out "the right way" like this. I wonder how many of us will dig into our orgs and realize that underneath a great mission statement and cool website was a hot mess just waiting to be uncovered.
My training as a respiratory therapist comes back to me. In class and in the books, everything comes together so neatly. Things happen as they should, aligning, as they should, in a predictable sequence. However, in clinicals, you have to adapt, be on your toes, violate rules--
Example:
You're in a patient's room giving them a breathing treatment; a code blue is called on your floor and you're on the code team. Do you calmly wait until your patient's treatment is over, asking if they have any questions? Then do you run into the next room where someone's life has abruptly stopped short saying, "hello, Mr. Doe, I'm Nicolle from respiratory. I am going to attempt to save your life now (all while washing your hands first complying with hospital policies)? Do you first read his chart, noting any allergies and checking his pharmacological records???
!!!!!!!!!! Um, NO!!!!!!!
You hear a code called and you respond. Period. Taking the time to wash your hands might be the precious seconds that person needed. You do what you can to ensure safety precautions and provide as sterile an environment as possible, but you are no longer in the land of happy textbook situations; you're top priority at that moment is not preventing pneumonia or even staph--it's preventing DEATH. Textbooks somehow don't prepare you for that.
I predict it might be applicable here to or to whatever we learn from textbooks, for they can't possibly address every circumstance we'll ever encounter. That's completely understandable.
That said, knowing how things ought to be at least tattoos a gold standard into our brains, so that we at least know when something is off course and to which hemisphere we should steer.
And, while steering, maps are helpful.
So, enjoy these below:





3 comments:

  1. The "pyramid" gift chart made no sense to me until I saw it in the appendix - I am really glad the publisher decided to include these illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Jordan King) I forgot that it doesn't display my name when I comment lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the visuals! They kind of helped open my eyes a little more. I feel like I still have a long way to go before it finally clicks with me. It just seems like it all is supposed to be all nice and structured, but could be a deadly spider web at the same time. Does this make any sense?

    ReplyDelete