Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dear Abby,

Dear Abby (who just passed away this month with Alzheimers...which reminds me of this blog),

This post began as a comment to a classmate's hilarious blog post. I casually began to respond in the comments section, however, the response just kept flowing...and growing...and then I started to feel like I should probably call some sort of hotline for help; the left side of my brain waving red flags and saying, "this is way too much to post on someone's blog" and "you're totally hijacking this post." It wasn't intentional. Promise.
I'm writing to you, Dear Abby (or your legacy or trust), because I took a step back and decided maybe I should save my soap box lecture for my OWN BLOG. (Dude, if you just clicked on that link don't admit it in public, okay?...I mean... you're already...on my blog... It was a total set up!)
Dear Abby, here are my comments-turned-blog-post below, would you please talk me off of the ledge??? Your faithful reader, Nicolle ;)


"Hollis, 
Great post! It was funny and provoking--which is everything I want to be! And although I think you did a good job of making this blogging thing sound light and funny and trivial--that these things are so foreign to you...me...us in general, is no laughing matter.

You bring up a VERY important discussion (or can o' worms in this case)--one that, as a writing major, I feel quite frustrated and passionate about (uh-oh--here I go), namely: how prepared ARE graduates of today's writing undergrad programs for writing in the 21st century?

I can't help but feel that nearly every class I take in the writing program should've had some graphic design prerequisite (!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my hands are all over the place on this one! hee hee!), for we are at least exposed to how writing takes place in the 21st century (and that's a good thing) but then we are expected to crank out projects ranging from prezis to html newsletters to web page design to instruction manuals and beyond in a matter of weeks...while limping through software that could easily take a semester to learn how to use such as Dreamweaver and InDesign (free trials or purchased on-the-side), or worse--FREE programs that we would NEVER use in a real job such as, Komposer). 

Fundamental problem: We learn how to make those things, but maybe not in the best way becuase we are NOT taught how to use the complicated software it takes to produce those things. It is an injustice I tell you. ;)

Can't UCA afford an Adobe site license or SOMETHING so we can teach and use state-of-the-art tools? Do we need to speak with the Executive Director about fundraising and start following money trails??? Can't we add this into the curriculum somehow for example: 
before you take this writing class in which you will basically need to know css styles, you should take this class in graphic design 1.

It seems instead we try to skate around graphic design without actually learning it...even though it is absolutely necessary. This just creates conflict--which on a side note might create a great story one day? Who knows? Maybe "graphic design" could be this crazy tech savvy minor (get it, minor?) who stalks a bewildered 21st century digital communications illiterate college student or something. (Btw, if you would pay money for a book like that---please let me know!)

My point is---we SHOULD be taught how to write in the 21st century. It is great to get exposure to these things in our classes, but I never can help but feel that in order to be a writer today, one must also be a graphic designer, for so much of our writing is not JUST words, but also the colors we choose, alignment, typography, fontography, css styles, rasterized vectors and html code--it's all part of our message to our audience. Sadly, we are not fully taught HOW to construct that component of our message.  And aren't companies, who are looking to hire writers, also looking for writers with Adobe programs on their resumes? We sooooo need more technology. What I don't know is whether this is a UCA funding issue or whether this is a widespread problem for writing students everywhere caused by some out-of-date-linearly-conceived-concept (that seems like the beginnings of a great tshirt catch phrase, doesn't it?). I suspect it isn't just UCA.

Nonetheless, I feel like we are some sort of hybrid-type-of-writers emerging from these programs; and it is still yet-to-be-defined (my, my, aren't I fond of drive-my-point-home-hyphenated-phrases today?) exactly what we are. If you think about it--writers really are expected to be psychologists, advertising gurus, educators, politicians, graphic designers, journalists, super multi-taskers and basically, God all-at-the-same-time-each-and-every-time they compose. I suppose it is difficult to fit all of that into one undergrad writing curriculum. 

I really am not dawgging the writing program. I have truly enjoyed it so far. I respect my profs (I sincerely have learned a lot from them--picking their brains, seeking their advice, absorbing as much as I can from them) and classmates too, but I feel your post, Hollis, sort of (obviously) got to the heart of my frustration with it...or all writing programs, in general, i.e. they need to include more technology training. 

And, if you think about it, don't we best learn language by immersion rather than mere exposure? So, why don't we as writers get to learn our writing language (which in the 21st century, IS FOREIGN) by immersion as well (spending a few months in the foreign country of graphic design, grappling with the language, hanging out with the locals, picking up all the slang and really---really practicing and really really learning this component?

Every project in my writing classes has been a learning experience, however, the components of those projects that I'm ranting about here were learned off of youtube, not so much in class, yet..I'm paying UCA...So school me, Tom Courtway!!

(Stepping away from the soapbox) That said, blogging is a great experience. It's so relevant. As a writer--instantaneously putting yourself out there--can be challenging, but it is so necessary.

And I can see how it is even necessary for advocacy...or fundraising...(attempting to swing full circle here) Blogging allows you to have continual connectedness with your audience (especially when required for class!) ;)  And, since they come to you by choice you don't feel like you're harassing them when it comes to blogging. It's so...so...digital age...so social media-ish...so 21st century-ish, and I like that. I want more of it! So, UCA, 21st century communication---BRING IT!"

And, thank you, Hollis, for helping the stew in me find it's way out! ;) Aren't you glad I didn't go all psycho on YOUR blog? ;)


3 comments:

  1. I agree on so many points. Digital Media I freaked me out at first. + it was just the bare minimum of all that's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I hope I didn't sound negative or really down on the writing program here--because I really am not. Like I've mentioned before, I have had so many majors; I was just thinking the other day though how finally happy I am in this program and with this major. However, it can feel overwhelming, for instance when considering what the rest of that iceberg looks like. ;)
    On a side note, I did hear today that we do actually have Adobe InDesign (about 9 copies) in the writing lab; that makes me feel better too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've definitely captured how I feel about graphic design. I have no idea how to do it. Of course Digital Media I helps, but I would certainly benefit from more in-depth instruction. It seems like our classes only have time to skim the surface and it leaves us feeling unprepared. This needs to remedied.

    ReplyDelete